Comp.sources.aux Comp.binaries.aux

a.e.mossberg aem at ibiza.cs.miami.edu
Sun Aug 6 09:28:02 AEST 1989

name at portia.Stanford.EDU (tony cooper) writes:
>Porting software to A/UX is a pain since very little source can be compiled
>straight off. This is presumable due to the fact that A/UX is closer to
>system V than anything else whereas most of the Unix software around is
>for BSD. So when someone does port something to A/UX how about making it
>available to the rest of the A/UX community?

I have had few problems porting stuff. Most programs have compilied with
little or *no* work on my part.  For instance, the ones you name:

>a whois program

No problem.

>a BSD style df (much better than the SYSV style)

A shell script posted to alt sources. No problem.

>patch version 2.0.12

No problem.

>compress (for those users who did not get it with A/UX 1.1)

First thing I set up under 1.0. No problem.

>I am currently porting mh6.6 and zoo to A/UX. Zoo is an archiving program
>and might be quite useful to A/UX users who are having problems backing up
>using the Apple tape drive.

Zoo compilied, no problem.

I don't think that anyone needs or should make available binaries of small
programs that compile right away. I mean, if you're talking something like
emacs which takes a little work, and alot of disk space, sure. But compress?
Geez.

>I also have tcsh already compiled for the macII. I didn't port it. tcsh is
>like csh with a few extra features such as file name completion and command
>line editing.

Is it bug-less? I read there was one on tut.... that has bugs.

Now, if anyone has the Berkeley lpr/lpd working under A/UX, I'd be interested.
I spent a couple hours on it without getting it to work passably.

aem

a.e.mossberg - aem at mthvax.cs.miami.edu/aem at umiami.BITNET - Pahayokee Bioregion
Wine is but single broth; ale is meat, drink, and cloth. - 16th century proverb