Comp.sources.aux Comp.binaries.aux

tony cooper name at portia.Stanford.EDU
Sat Aug 5 10:19:26 AEST 1989

Porting software to A/UX is a pain since very little source can be compiled
straight off. This is presumable due to the fact that A/UX is closer to
system V than anything else whereas most of the Unix software around is
for BSD. So when someone does port something to A/UX how about making it
available to the rest of the A/UX community?

Is anyone willing to donate some disk space for an anonymous FTP site? How
about a public directory on apple.apple.com?

I have some software to contribute. If you are interested, send me mail and
I can give you:

a whois program
a BSD style df (much better than the SYSV style)
a Pascal to C translator (can convert 1000 line programs reliably)
a Webster client
a fast man program that can do .Z man pages
patch version 2.0.12
compress (for those users who did not get it with A/UX 1.1)
software for manipulating 24 bit graphics images (but not displaying them
in 24 bits, only 8)
numerous X windows programs eg programs that can display gif, macpaint, sun
graphics files etc. X graphics programs are easy to get running under A/UX
but other types of programs usually require work since most X software is
sun or vax specific. I also have Imake and makedepend which Apple left out
of their X distribution.

I am currently porting mh6.6 and zoo to A/UX. Zoo is an archiving program
and might be quite useful to A/UX users who are having problems backing up
using the Apple tape drive.
I also have some magtape manipulation programs that I haven't looked at yet.

I also have tcsh already compiled for the macII. I didn't port it. tcsh is
like csh with a few extra features such as file name completion and command
line editing.

Finally, I am porting GoodNeWS to run under MacNeWS (from Grasshopper). Since
MacNeWS is the same as the version that Sun uses, this port should be easy.
I also have a lot of other NeWS software to look at, but I am only a beginner
in learning Postscript so it's too early to start being productive there.

Tony Cooper
name at portia.stanford.edu

Disclaimer: Half of the above is not true, the rest is false.