Comp.sources.aux Comp.binaries.aux

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at nc386.uucp
Wed Aug 16 04:09:03 AEST 1989

As quoted from <625 at umigw.MIAMI.EDU> by aem at ibiza.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg):
+---------------
| allbery at nc386.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
| >+---------------
| >| Now, if anyone has the Berkeley lpr/lpd working under A/UX, I'd be interested.
| >| I spent a couple hours on it without getting it to work passably.
| >+---------------
|
| >Why bother, unless Apple gratuitously decided not to provide lp?
|
| Because we have primarily BSD systems, and System V lp has no provision
| for printers attached to other systems. I have no desire to give people
| accounts on my vaxstation or Sun 3/60 just so they can print.  I've
+---------------

I found passing a print job to another system via either uux or remsh (you
call it "rsh") in a printer model to be trivial.

However -- we are likely to start supporting networks on our (System V)
systems soon, and I'm considering grabbing the 4.3+Tahoe lpd from uunet and
using it to write Streams/TLI-based programs to go both directions:  a daemon
to wait for remote print jobs and hand them to lp, and a print model which
opens a network connection to another system to print via BSD lpd protocol.

The problem with dropping lp in favor of lpr is that programs like e.g.
WordPerfect have a tendency to expect the lp spooler on System V systems, and
won't install properly if you aren't using lp.  (Yes, on a Mac you're more
likely to run the MacOS version of WP -- assuming A/UX 1.1 can handle it --
but I'm talking generic System V.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery at NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
"Why do trans-atlantic transfers take so long?"
"Electrons don't swim very fast."  -john at minster.york.ac.uk and whh at PacBell.COM