No fun at all with Dick & Jane (A/UX 1.1 is hardly perfect...)

Steve Green steveg at tove.umd.edu
Tue Aug 1 04:34:39 AEST 1989

>> You people are all complaining about problems with A/UX 1.0,
>> all of these things are fixed in 1.1.  Furthermore 1.0 was
>> primarily designed to be a first cut/developer release of
>> A/UX to get a feel for what people would want in a UNIX
>> product from Apple.  We've listened to the problems and have
>> made the appropriate changes in 1.1.
>
>This is crap. I've defended A/UX in the past, and probably will
>again in the future. Still, this makes me mad. The "appropriate
>changes" have *NOT* been made.
	<lots of stuff deleted>
>Am I bitter? Not about A/UX in general. I just bought it, and I knew
>exactly what I was getting into. I am disgusted with Apple, which has
>changed places with IBM in the last two years. It's especially appalling
>when you realize just how many really excellent people work at Apple.
>They're in the technical areas, though, and the marketing bozos are still
>running the show. Until technical innovation is again allowed to take
>center stage at Apple, this sorry state will most likely persist.

Let me say that this opinion of apple is becoming more common all of the time.
AUX is great for what it is but it is the price that is the problem.  It is my
guess that Apple does not want a generic UNIX machine.  What would be great is
a Macintosh/UNIX operating system hybrid. (system 8.0?)  As a comp-sci student,
AUX is great.  In fact, there is nothing else I would rather have.  This is not
saying that I would not like to see AUX greatly improved.
Enough babble... This is what it comes down to...
If Apple plans to go with AUX, full commitment, then lets see it!  The net is
full of people that know.  These are the people that buy workstations...listen
to what they want.
If AUX is an experiment or learning experiance for future OS's, then GIVE THE
DARN THING AWAY.  AUX should be free!  Charge for the docs, support but the
software should be free along with updates.
Also, a CD with sources and other garbage (man pages,..) would be great.

Unfortunatly, you hit it right on the head when you said that the people who
read the net are not the people that these messages are directed at.
Hey John (skulley), are you out there??

					-steveg at tove.umd.edu
--
Ignore the message: 'ld warning: file /tmp/kernAAAa06386 has no relocation
information' If it appears.