No fun at all with Dick & Jane (A/UX 1.1 is hardly perfect...)

Ron Flax ron at afsg.Apple.COM
Tue Aug 1 14:01:49 AEST 1989

In article <18831 at mimsy.UUCP> steveg at tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Steve Green) writes:
>If AUX is an experiment or learning experiance for future OS's, then GIVE THE
>DARN THING AWAY.  AUX should be free!  Charge for the docs, support but the
>software should be free along with updates.
>Also, a CD with sources and other garbage (man pages,..) would be great.

A/UX is definitly NOT an experiment!  It is a product.  Unfortunatly we
must pay AT&T a royalty for each copy we sell, so we cannot simply give
it away...  Besides I really don't think the price is that offensive.
After all, look at the price of SCO XENIX after you've put all the
pieces back together to makeup a real UNIX.  And the same goes for
other "micro" versions of UNIX look at MicroPort (are they still
around?)  and Interactive.

--
Ron Flax
UUCP:		..!uunet!afsg!ron
Internet:	ron at afsg.apple.com
Apple Federal Systems Group, Complex Systems

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed above are mine, and don't
            necessarily reflect that of my employer.