general questions on AUX

Nadeem Malik malik at ut-emx.UUCP
Sun Dec 31 07:01:54 AEST 1989

Hi,

I am thinking of buying the IIci and AUX and would appreciate it if someone
in the netland can answer some of my questions below.

1. First how do I get AUX? The computer store at my university does not sell
it. Similar queries with a couple of Apple dealers in town resulted in blank
stares.

2. What is the typical price for AUX?

3. Is it possible to get academic discount on it?

4. Since free software foundation refuses to support macs, is someone
else providing the ports of their programs for the mac, especially of
the gawk? I have noticed that someone has a gcc source for mac available at
some archive. How difficult has it been to port such programs. I think the
most difficult will be gnuemacs if all the functionality of mac windows, etc
has to be provided. Other programs, such as gawk, g++, bash, etc should
be trivial. Is this correct?

5. How robust is the AUX compared to SunOs and how does the Macwindows
support in AUX compared to sunview?

6. Is it reasonably fast in terms of response time as compared to a 11/780
with a few users? Are there any benchmark results available for AUX on the
ci/cx versus SunOs on SparcStation-1 or some other Unix implemenattion? If
anyone has used both the Sun386i and mac/AUX, do you think AUX is faster
than the painfully slow Sun386i or not?

7. Is AUX based on Unix V or the bsd version?

Thanks, in advance.

--
Nadeem Malik.
SNAIL: ENS 312, Electrical and Computer Engin, U.T., Austin, Tx 78712
EMAIL: <ARPA/CS/NSFnet> malik at emx.utexas.edu
       <UUCP> {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!emx!malik
VOICE: (512) 471-3903