general questions on AUX

Jason Levitt jason at cs.utexas.edu
Sun Dec 31 08:17:37 AEST 1989

In article <22885 at ut-emx.UUCP> malik at emx.utexas.edu (Nadeem Malik) writes:

>1. First how do I get AUX? The computer store at my university does not sell
>it. Similar queries with a couple of Apple dealers in town resulted in blank
>stares.

  Computer Solutions 327-8395 sells it. Talk to Craig Honeycutt.
  I am not affiliated with Computer Solutions, but I bought Mac hardware
  from them and Craig was willing to give me a good deal.
  The University gives a steep discount on the CPU, but all other
  hardware and software is cheaper elsewhere.

>2. What is the typical price for AUX?

   Apple list price: $895 for A/UX 1.1.1 on floppy
                     $695 for "       "  on tape
                     $649 for manuals
                     $329 for X-windows

    You can also buy A/UX pre-formatted on an Apple 80 meg hd, either
    internal [with CPU] or external. You need an Apple SC40 tape drive for the
   tape version.
  You need AUX 1.1.1 for the IIci and SE/30, 1.1 for all other Mac II's.
  The  two versions are functionally identical.

>3. Is it possible to get academic discount on it?

    Call Apple at 338-2115. I don't know.

>4. Since free software foundation refuses to support macs, is someone
>else providing the ports of their programs for the mac, especially of
>the gawk? I have noticed that someone has a gcc source for mac available at
>some archive. How difficult has it been to port such programs. I think the
>most difficult will be gnuemacs if all the functionality of mac windows, etc
>has to be provided. Other programs, such as gawk, g++, bash, etc should
>be trivial. Is this correct?

    Available via anonymous ftp from apple.com.

>5. How robust is the AUX compared to SunOs and how does the Macwindows
>support in AUX compared to sunview?

    I don't know. I haven't done any programming with it. However, some
of the A/UX applications, such as hfx [MacOS <-> AUX file transfer] make
good use of the Macwindows interface.

>6. Is it reasonably fast in terms of response time as compared to a 11/780
>with a few users? Are there any benchmark results available for AUX on the
>ci/cx versus SunOs on SparcStation-1 or some other Unix implemenattion? If
>anyone has used both the Sun386i and mac/AUX, do you think AUX is faster
>than the painfully slow Sun386i or not?

    If someone has this information, *I'd* be interested too.

>7. Is AUX based on Unix V or the bsd version?

    Appears to be System V Release 2 kernel with BSD 4.3 networking and
extensions. I'd like to know what kind of filesystem and memory management
is being used.

   ---Jason
-----

Jason Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet: jason at cs.utexas.edu         | "The most effective debugging tool is
UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  still careful thought, coupled with
BIX     : jlevitt                     |  judiciously placed print statements."