Two Questions

Dominic Dunlop domo at riddle.UUCP
Wed Feb 1 03:35:52 AEST 1989

In article <488 at nikhefk.UUCP> paulm at nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:
>In article <457 at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> eberard at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
	(Edward Berard) writes:
>#Now that the Macintosh SE/30 and A/UX 1.1 have been officially
>#announced, I have two (apparently) unrelated questions:
>#
>#	1. It would seem that a Macintosh SE/30 equipped with an 80
>#	   megabyte internal drive could possibly support A/UX...
>#
>Nothing official, but:
>
>we tested the SE/30 and found A/UX 1.01 to be able to run on the SE/30.
>I see no non-marketing reason for Apple not the officially support A/UX
>for the SE/30.

A trivial reason for non-support on the SE/30 that I can think of
would be that A/UX might not include a driver for the  "classic Mac"
one bit-per-pixel, not too many pixels, screen.  Ed, were you using
the SE/30's own screen, which I understand is still of the "classic Mac"
variety, or were you using something outboard?  (Actually, I guess not,
as I don't think anybody yet has expansion cards for the SE/30's new (as
opposed to Nu) bus slot.)

By the way, talking of marketing reasons, the SE/30 will ship in Europe
with a 40 megabyte drive rather than 80.  Anybody care to suggest a good
basis for that decision?
--
Dominic Dunlop
domo at sphinx.co.uk  domo at riddle.uucp