Screen dimmer needed for console

David W. Berry dwb at Apple.COM
Tue Feb 14 07:33:24 AEST 1989

In article <523 at ivucsb.UUCP> lemke at apple.ucsb.edu writes:
>Has anyone got a screen dimmer that works on the console in A/UX?  Has
>anyone experimented with using regular Mac OS ones dumped into the SASH
>partition's System Folder?  I tried to boot with SuperClock in the system
>folder and ran into problems, so I haven't tried any screen dimmer inits
>yet.  Anything would be fine - a daemon of some sort or an init for the
>Mac partition.  Any ideas?  (Actually, I'm still looking for something to
>write the time into the menu bar for me - any ideas about that would be
>appreciated, too).
1.  Earl Wallace here at Apple wrote a screen dimmer specifically for
	A/UX.  It was posted some time back, if desired I can get him
	to post it again.  Hey Earl, you listening?

2.  When A/UX is running it uses it's own system folder, separate from
	the one in the sash partition.  The default is /usr/lib/mac,
	but that can be overridden by setting the TBSYSTEM environment
	variable.

3.  A/UX does not currently support INIT's and while CDEV's are supported
	CDEV's such as moire won't work because they rely on the unsupported
	INIT 31 mechanism to install code at boot time.  This also means
	that you probably won't be able to find a menu bar clock since
	they all install as an INIT.

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry		(A/UX Toolbox Engineer)
apple!dwb at sun.com	dwb at apple.com	973-5168 at 408.MaBell