Academic workstations

Paul Raveling raveling at venera.isi.edu
Sat Jun 24 03:55:58 AEST 1989

In article <5386 at rpi.edu> jtwarden at pawl.rpi.edu (Joseph T. Warden) writes:

>Another opinion (my own) is to go with the Suns - you have access
>to a large volume of software (PD, etc), a large installed base
>(esp. in Academia) and good pricing. An alternative is DEC, but
>if you want to work with server/clients, I think Sun is probably
>the easiest to implement and maintain. This opinion is from a
>chemist, whose philosophy is to extract the greatest use from
>the computer without being consumed by the process.

	Since I'm now involved with supporting workstations here,
	I'll offer a relative rating of software/system quality
	as I see it:

		Best:	HP
		#2:	DEC
		Worst:	Sun

	HP & DEC are probably close, but we have mainly Sun & HP
	workstations; I don't have much DEC experience to confirm
	this suspicion.  Sun's software (e.g., C compiler) is often
	visibly less refined and more trouble-prone than HP's.

	BTW, these are my opinions based on my experience.
	Milage may vary for others...

Paul Raveling
Raveling at isi.edu