Setting serial ports to 19.2 KB

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.UUCP
Mon Jun 12 05:43:27 AEST 1989

In article <273 at radar.UUCP> donn at radar.UUCP (Donn S. Fishbein) writes:
>Does anyone know how to set the serial ports to 19200 baud?
>The man page for stty mentions 19200 as equal to "exta",
>but neither "stty exta </dev/tty0"
>		  nor "stty 19200 </dev/tty0"
>seem to do anything. "stty -a </dev/tty0" reports that the
>port is still set to the previous setting, and indeed it
>is when tested.
>
>I called the A/UX Hotline about this question (under A/UX 1.0),
>but they could not answer the question. The problem seems to
>have persisted in A/UX 1.1. It seems a shame to only utilize
>half the potential bandwith of my Trailblazer +

The problem is that if you close a serial port (like you do when
stty finishes) the serial port resets itself to its default
settings (a generic Unix problem). To use UUCP at 19200 (as I do
on my Telebit) put an entry for the line in /usr/lib/uucp/L-devices
(at 19200) and an entry for the remote site also at 19200. Unfortunately
cu doesn't seem to understand a speed of 19200 and it chokes so you
can't do your own callouts at this speed (something Apple should fix in
a future release ....) [although you probably could do a cu then a stty
after cu had started - something like

	(sleep 30;stty 19200 </dev/ttyc0)& cu -lttyc0

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell
Taniwha Systems Design			UUCP:		..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul