Personal System Folders and NFS

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.umass.edu
Sun Dec 2 06:53:33 AEST 1990

I am having trouble with personal system folders (created using the
systemfolder command) for users whose home directories are on an NFS-mounted
volume. When the user logs in at the console things go really slowly, with
some disk activity, then eventually the login just gives up and the Login
dialogue box comes back. No error messages, nothing, just plain refusal to log
in. If I remove the personal System Folder from the user's remote home
directory then they can log in again with no problems. Does anyone have any
idea what's going on and how to fix the situation? I have no problem with
personal system folders for users having a local home directory. Perhaps this
is a bug in A/UX 2.0? Has anyone else encountered this?
--
	Tony Hosking
	Dept. of Computer and Information Science	 _--_|\