remote access from MacOS to A/UX over Appletalk?

Alan Mimms abm at alan.aux.apple.com
Sat Dec 8 04:58:04 AEST 1990

In article <18256 at hydra.gatech.EDU>, ken at dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
|> -----
|>
|> Forgive me if this is trivial, but I know nothing about MacOS and only
|> a little about Appletalk.
|>
|> The situation is this:  We have a Mac IIx, running A/UX 1.1 (soon to
|> be 2.0), that is connected to both our internal ethernet and a small
|> Appletalk network (secretaries and a few management types use MacOS).
|> The MacOS people would like to be able to read mail on the A/UX box
|> over Appletalk.
|>
|> The question is, what are my options?  I assume that the simplest
|> thing would be to find some sort of terminal emulator that speaks
|> Appletalk and let them remote-login.  However, I'm interested in
|> looking at all solutions; for example, is there a nice front end like
|> `xmh' that used Mac look-n-feel?  Whats out there?

I personally would recommend Quickmail for your MacOS needs.  Its user
interface is quite nice, it's fast, it's based on Appletalk transports
(so it can use Ethertalk, Localtalk, and/or Tokentalk in any combination)
and it has all of the features I need in my normal work, so perhaps it
has all you need too.  It is also very useful for inter-MacOS mail and
doesn't require that you "go to the mountain" periodically to check for
incoming mail.  AND (this is where I answer your original question) you
can run a fast and efficient gateway between SMTP (Unix style) mail and
QuickMail trivially.

Note that Quickmail has some problems on A/UX, but they're fixing 'em and
we're working on fixing a (small) problem with Appletalk that they have
with our code (second hand info), so I'd expect an A/UX-studly Quickmail
release Real Soon Now.  So that'll mean you could use Quickmail on your
A/UX machines too, if you like.

--

Alan Mimms (alan at apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but