Personal System Folders and NFS

Chet Wood chet at Advansoft.COM
Wed Dec 5 08:28:13 AEST 1990

>>>>> On 3 Dec 90 18:56:15 GMT, urlichs at smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) said:
matthias> Interesting. This statrs to look like some sort of NFS
matthias> incompatibility.

matthias> For the record, I saw the problem with our Ultrix 4.0 NFS
matthias> server.

I've noticed the problem. Our file server is a Sun4/370 running SunOS
4.1. The disk with the home directories is big-- 1 GB. It was taking
me 5-10 minutes to log in until I moved my system folder to a local
disk. I eventually just created a home directory on the local disk. I
seem to remember that that speeded things up more.

One of our users has _never_ been able to log in-- the system hangs
for hours-- until you telnet in and kill the fake_mac_os process.
( Creating a local home directory for him will presumably cure the
problem-- if he ever again shows an interest in using the Mac.)

A friend in the A/UX group has hypothesized that it may be an ethernet
problem. We are running a 3COM board on our FX. I'm told it interrupts
the processor on every longword. You're supposed to have an apple ethernet
card of series "F" or something like that for decent throughput on the
FX.

chet.
--
Chet Wood                       ~                         (408)727-3357 X269
   chet at Advansoft.Com    .  Advansoft Research Corporation