Personal System Folders and NFS

Steve Green steveg at ni.umd.edu
Wed Dec 5 13:21:55 AEST 1990

In article <CHET.90Dec4132813 at mars.Advansoft.COM> chet at Advansoft.COM (Chet Wood) writes:

>matthias> Interesting. This statrs to look like some sort of NFS
>matthias> incompatibility.
>
>matthias> For the record, I saw the problem with our Ultrix 4.0 NFS
>matthias> server.
>
>I've noticed the problem. Our file server is a Sun4/370 running SunOS
>4.1. The disk with the home directories is big-- 1 GB. It was taking
>me 5-10 minutes to log in until I moved my system folder to a local
>disk. I eventually just created a home directory on the local disk. I
>seem to remember that that speeded things up more.
>
>One of our users has _never_ been able to log in-- the system hangs
>for hours-- until you telnet in and kill the fake_mac_os process.
>( Creating a local home directory for him will presumably cure the
>problem-- if he ever again shows an interest in using the Mac.)
>
>A friend in the A/UX group has hypothesized that it may be an ethernet
>problem. We are running a 3COM board on our FX. I'm told it interrupts
>the processor on every longword. You're supposed to have an apple ethernet
>card of series "F" or something like that for decent throughput on the
>FX.

This may or may not be the same problem I am having with NFS.  Anyway, I
have been complaining to Apple for a while about my inability to use NFS.

I have a CONSISTANT problem where code compiled on an NFS mount does not work
correctly or even at all.  What is strange is that all of the phases work
fine except for the ld phase.  I was told to turn off the biod's because of a
race condition..  this did not help me but I understand that it has helped
some others...

BTW, I am using an ULTIRX 4.0 machine for my server.

Anyone else?

Silica gel -- No not eat.				steveg at ni.umd.edu