X window tools for Mac-like apps?

Don Gilbert gilbertd at silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Wed Dec 26 10:35:58 AEST 1990

I'm new to developing at X Windows and am trying choose an X
toolkit or system, from what looks like a complex crowd, that
will let me write nice MacApp-like programs with as little
work on my part as possible.   Client programs should compile on
A/UX or other Unix boxes with cc, gcc and/or g++.  Clients should
work properly with MacX and other X servers.  I don't care about
the window manager properties (MacX window managing is fine), just
things like dialog manager controls (buttons, radio boxes, text
fields), scrollable text, 2D graphics, mouse and keyboard
event managers.

The basic Xlib stuff looks too low-level, and also the athena
widgets (Xaw).  The OpenLook/OpenWindows/XViews stuff from Sun/AT&T
looks interesting.  Their documents say some company called ICS is
working on an A/UX version.   InterViews from Stanford also looks
like a possibility (a recent message thread here indicates at least
a couple of you have it running). There are other things listed in the
X11R4 release notes that I don't know about yet (Andrew, Xw, ..).

Can anyone suggest something that you have working with A/UX to save
me and others some time?

Thanks,  Don

--
Don.Gilbert at Iubio.Bio.Indiana.Edu
biocomputing office, indiana univ., bloomington, in 47405, usa