emacs under A/UX (v2) (subprocess bug)

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Wed Dec 5 12:30:41 AEST 1990

pst at ack.Stanford.EDU (Paul Traina) writes:

>Just recently I built emacs-18.55 from scratch using the patches found on
>apple.com.  (built under A/UX v2)  I found the same bug that used to plague
>emacs under earlier versions of A/UX (1.0/1.1) and that is that it seems
>to have problems communicating with subprocesses.  I think it's probably
>a broken understanding of the PTY driver, but has anyone already identified
>and fixed this bug?

  I believe so.  Check out the patches for Emacs 18.55 available on
afsg.apple.com.  I've been using those for some time with no problems on
handling subprocesses on ttys.   Alas, I don't know exactly what the problem
was, but Ron Flax at afsg.apple.com fixed it.  (As I recall, the patches for
Emacs on apple.com had other problems as well, which were all solved by
going to the Ron Flax-patched version.)

>example of bug:

>	M-x shell

>does not work.  You never get a prompt, input never seems to make it to
>the shell.  The shell process DOES start up, but it's controlling tty is
>"?" rather than a pty.

   Hmm.  Well, it looks like the shell is still created with controlling tty
as '?', but the shell prompt appears as normal, and interaction with the
shell works just fine.  I've got a shell running in the other window right
now as I write this.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Try looking in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychotics'." -- Michael Santana