Personal System Folders and NFS

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 21:36:11 AEST 1990

In <1990Dec5.054623.2117 at julius.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu (John
Coolidge) writes:

>steveg at ni.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>>I have a CONSISTANT problem where code compiled on an NFS mount does not work
>>correctly or even at all.  What is strange is that all of the phases work
>>fine except for the ld phase.  I was told to turn off the biod's because of
>>race condition..  this did not help me but I understand that it has helped
>>some others...

>I've got this one... most of the time. When compiling to disks from
>the Encore server, I get bad links (the link finishes cleanly, but
>the resulting image is damaged, often in strange and interesting
>ways). On the other hand, when the remote server is a Sun or an A/UX
>machine, I've never seen this problem.

We've seen this too. Our experiments say that it is caused by "ld", that the
significant factor is putting the final output file on the NFS server, that
the bad thing which happens is patches of zeros in the output file, and that
SunOS 4.1 and A/UX 2.0 servers don't suffer from this.

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)