Personal System Folders and NFS

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 21:45:34 AEST 1990

In <1990Dec10.182359.8057 at ddti.com> maples at ddti.com (Greg Maples) writes:

>The problem seems to lie (for us) with the ethernet cards.  We found that
>16K cards fail, and 64K cards do not.  Apple informed us that the only cards
>they support (or endorse) for A/UX are 64K cards.  3COM acted as if they were
>totally unaware of this.

>Upgrading to 64K cards seems to have solved the problem.  Good Luck.

Naturally, Apple never seem to tell anyone this, let alone customers who a)
don't live in the US, and b) who have 100+ A/UX machines with 16K Apple
Ethernet cards. How long have Apple been selling 64K cards anyway, and what
does "non-support of 16K cards" mean for existing customers? You are talking
about changing the card in the A/UX machines acting as clients, right?

16K -> 64K change of card means more buffering, so fewer "receive overflows"
in the card. In our experiments which demonstrated the problem, there were no
such messages at all. The only significant things you'd lose would be
acknowledgements of non-idempotent operations which aren't covered by cached
rather a lot of).

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)