System Crashes, maybe EtherPort card

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 20:40:07 AEST 1990

In <13145 at memqa.uucp> qfhca81 at memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) writes:

>The diagnostics printed on the screen always
>say Trap Type 4.  The offending applications have been 'in.routed', 'sendmail'
>(twice) and 'XmacII'.
>Additional information:
>AUX 2.0
>Mac IIfx
>the old Kinetics Etherport card running the AUX 1.1 driver.
>8mb RAM.

>I suspect the old ethernet card driver.  Has anyone else had similar
>problems?  Are there any tuning changes I can make to test this theory?

We run Mac IIs with the old EtherPort card, A/UX 2.0 and 5 meg of memory, and
we never see this (or any other) problem with the cards. It is conceivable
that the switch to a 68030 with its MMU is causing problems, or even that the
NuBus timing of the EtherPort card is sufficiently out of spec to cause
problems with the IIfx. I feel that "Trap Type 4" is going to be significant -
are these things documented or could someone at Apple enlighten us all? I
don't know of any tuning things you can do.

>If all else fails, what is the best ethernet card to replace mine with?

A recent message on this group says "Apple Ethernet Card" and that you should
get one which has the larger on-board memory (revision L, I believe).
Doubtless Dayna Systems, who took over the new Kinetics EtherPort card, would
also recommend their product. I think that Dove do an Ethernet card as well.

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)