general questions on AUX

Nadeem Malik malik at ut-emx.UUCP
Mon Jan 1 07:37:51 AEST 1990

In article <1055 at gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason at cs.utexas.edu (Jason Levitt) writes:
> I'm fairly certain that the UTexas computer store does not sell A/UX.
>I think this is because they do not have the requisite support personnel
>to satisfy Apple Inc.. Anyway, it is not on their price list.
>The local Apple University rep. may be able to help. Call Apple.

I learned this the hard way. They in fact were responsible for sending me off
on a wild goose chase first to our computation center, as they thought its
them who would sell it. After unsuccessfuly trying three people I learned
that they have no business to sell such stuff. Back to our Micro Center--
this time they gave me a California number for Apple, where after holding on
the line for 20 min (in the morning at the prime phone rates), I was told
Apple does not sell AUX to non-dealers. When back to our micro center, the
third time a more knowledgeable person finally tells me that yes none of the
people they had asked me to contact can sell AUX to me. The response from
some local Apple dealers was also similarly disappointing

As you can imagine I had by that time mostly abandoned the idea of getting
AUX. But thanks to everyone on the net I have now gotten some very
useful info.

>>You can
>>write programs under A/UX much as you can under MPW (or so I'm told--I'm
>>not very familiar with MacOS system calls), and many MacOS programs can
>>be run under A/UX.
>>
> They run under A/UX but without sound and without direct access to the serial
>ports and some other bells and whistles. Only about 80% of the Mac
>toolbox is available under A/UX. :-(

Does anyone know if Microsoft word 4.0, Execl, and MacDraw
work under AUX. Since these are the only MacOs programs that I use, if
they do work then I wont even ever have to boot the MacOs. However, you have
mentioned that there is a problem in accessing the serial ports. Does it mean
that it will not be possible to print from Word to a laserwriter, even if it
works otherwise under AUX?

--
Nadeem Malik.
SNAIL: ENS 312, Electrical and Computer Engin, U.T., Austin, Tx 78712
EMAIL: <ARPA/CS/NSFnet> malik at emx.utexas.edu
       <UUCP> {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!emx!malik
VOICE: (512) 471-3903