general questions on AUX

Jason Levitt jason at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 1 08:10:51 AEST 1990

In article <22924 at ut-emx.UUCP> malik at emx.UUCP (Nadeem Malik) writes:
>In article <1055 at gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason at cs.utexas.edu (Jason Levitt) writes:
>> They run under A/UX but without sound and without direct access to the serial
>>ports and some other bells and whistles. Only about 80% of the Mac
>>toolbox is available under A/UX. :-(
>
>Does anyone know if Microsoft word 4.0, Execl, and MacDraw
>work under AUX. Since these are the only MacOs programs that I use, if
>they do work then I wont even ever have to boot the MacOs. However, you have
>mentioned that there is a problem in accessing the serial ports. Does it mean
>that it will not be possible to print from Word to a laserwriter, even if it
>works otherwise under AUX?

 You cannot print using the serial ports when running a Mac application
under A/UX. Macintosh terminal programs are useless. Word processing
programs cannot print using the serial ports. I think it is possible to
print via appletalk, though, if you have an appletalk [now called
"localtalk"] network. Not sure. Anybody know if Excel works?

     ---J
-----

Jason Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet: jason at cs.utexas.edu         | "Happy decade. Anybody for
UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  80's nostalgia?"
BIX     : jlevitt                     |      ---Jason