general questions on AUX

John Kullmann jk at Apple.COM
Mon Jan 1 15:51:27 AEST 1990

In article <1056 at gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason at cs.utexas.edu (Jason Levitt) writes:
> You cannot print using the serial ports when running a Mac application
>under A/UX. Macintosh terminal programs are useless. Word processing
>programs cannot print using the serial ports. I think it is possible to
>print via appletalk, though, if you have an appletalk [now called
>"localtalk"] network. Not sure. Anybody know if Excel works?

This is wrong. With the 'AppleTalk 2.0 for A/UX package'
now available (also bundled in with 1.1.1) Mac Apps can print to
a shared, networked (local/ethertalk) laserwriter. There
may be some confusion here, since localtalk uses the serial port, but
in any case you can now print via a direct serial connect printer or
via localtalk to a shared laserwriter.

In fact, since A/UX 1.1 you could print to a localtalk laserwriter from
Mac Apps, it just used to require a 3rd party serial card. Now it will
work directly off the serial ports out the back of the machine.