A/UX 2.0 initial questions

Ned Rhodes rhodes at grebyn.com
Thu Jul 12 08:32:35 AEST 1990

	To those of you who are running version 2.0, maybe you can help
and I have some comments.

	1.  I tried to use Suitcase 1.2.6 and I get a system bomb after
the login screen.  Someone said that Suitcase worked.  Which version was
it that worked and did you have to do anything other than drag the icon
to the System folder?

	2.  The SCSIProbe program bombs for me.

	3.  The Shiva NetSerial init appears to be compatible with
version 2.  I ran it with Mac240 and did xmodem transfers.  That is good
news.

	4.  I use a Microtech R45 Syquest drive on the system.  You have
to use Tony Cooper's Fix Error Page program on the MacOS formatted disks
so that they will appear on the desktop.  My question is, when I place
the disk into the trash to put in another cartridge, I cannot spin the
drive down.  I have to kill power to the drive and then I can remove the
cartridge.  Anyone have a different experience?

	5.  _Launch 3.0, Dollars and Sense and PageMaker all appear to
work.

	6.  My version of SuperClock also causes a bomb.

	7.  On the topic of MacOS formatted CDROMS, they do not appear
on the desktop.  I tried to install the init (v3.0) and it bombs.  Does
a newer version work?

	8.  The overall speed of the system appears to be slow when
starting applications and seems to take awhile when you open folders.
Has anyone discovered any tuning items that will speed things up?

	Overall, I am impressed.  I am waiting for my upgrade to my
serial card so that I can try out my serial ports and other modem
access.  Thanks for any help.

--
Ned W. Rhodes                   (703) 534-2297 (voice)
Software Systems Group          (703) 237-9654 (fax)