A/UX 2.0 initial questions

Bob Lantz lantz at Apple.COM
Thu Jul 12 12:49:08 AEST 1990

In article <20266 at grebyn.com> rhodes at grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) writes:

>	2.  The SCSIProbe program bombs for me.

A/UX 2.0 doesn't support the SCSI manager; in general, you can't
(and shouldn't) access the hardware directly from user programs.
Most programs that get away with this under Mac OS (e.g. accessing
SCSI, ADB, ASC and serial [e.g. for MIDI] chips directly) fail
under A/UX.

>	8.  The overall speed of the system appears to be slow when
>starting applications and seems to take awhile when you open folders.
>Has anyone discovered any tuning items that will speed things up?

Use a personal system folder.

There's something that's probably easy to figure out, but may not
be obvious to Mac OS users trying out A/UX (other Apple folks
correct me if I'm wrong on this :-) ): if all your login accounts
use the global system folder, then the desktop database and file
system cache will have to be rebuilt whenever a different user
logs in.  In particular, opening folder will cause the system
to generate this information for the files in that folder.  If
you have a personal system folder, this information is saved
from session to session. If you don't, it can be lost if another
user logs in.  There's a handy command to generate a personal
system folder.  It's called "systemfolder."

>	Overall, I am impressed.  I am waiting for my upgrade to my
>serial card so that I can try out my serial ports and other modem
>access.  Thanks for any help.

>Ned W. Rhodes                   (703) 534-2297 (voice)

Bob Lantz
A/UX Team