MacX for stand-alone A/UX 2.0

Mike Shaff shaff at elements.rpal.com
Thu Jul 26 01:39:55 AEST 1990

ciao,

Installing MacX was surprisingly simple, until I realized that the appendix
that I was directed to did not contain the information I so sorely sought.

Page 2-7 of the MacX installation guide says:

	"Whether you plan to run MacX on a network or stand-alone system, you
	need to have a network kernel set up."

OK, no problem, page 2-8 continues:

	"Go to Appendix A, "Setting up a Network Kernel," for instructions
	about using the newconfig command to create an NFS (R) or a BNET (R)
	network kernel."

Appendix A states:

	"If you do not have an Ethernet (R) card, the system does not prompt
	you for any networking information and displays these messages
	instead:"

	[Messages deleted]

I tried:

 newconfig nfs
 newconfig bnet

both with the same results.  When an X application is launched from the command
shell (e.g., xcalc&) it errors out with "Unable to open dream:0.0" (where dream
is the name of the local host).  The application MacX is up and running.

>From the MacX application itself, the host dialog (from New Command...) can not
resolve the address of Dream.

Anyone have a clue what is needed to get MacX working on a stand-alone?

Thanks!

--
	mas

But when things go wrong,