FLAME Concerning Apple's pricing of A/UX 2.0.

Steve Green steveg at umd5.umd.edu
Tue Jun 5 09:51:58 AEST 1990

In article <3089 at ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
)>You didn't have to pick A/UX for a platform.  If a cheapo 386 UNIX port
)>is what you want to pay for, that's what you should be using.  If you are
)>adding capabilities and value to your product by putting in on A/UX, then
)>what's the problem with paying more for it?
)
)I don't quite understand just what "cheapo 386 UNIX port" is being
)referred to.  To get what you get with A/UX 2.0, you'd end up paying at
)least $1K-$1.5K street price for ISC's 386/ix or SCO's XENIX or UNIX.
)Even ESIX, with the same services, is about $800, the same amount which
)is being kvetched about.
)
)The price for A/UX 2.0 seems pretty much in line with other products on
)the market on platforms in the same ballpark.
)
)--
)Steve Dyer
)dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
)dyer at arktouros.mit.edu, dyer at hstbme.mit.edu

ESIX.. did someone say ESIX??  It does not matter what you pay for ESIX
because you cant even get close to AUX with it.  ESIX running on a 20 mhz
386 (not sx) and 4 megs of ram is worthless.  I never knew just how good
AUX was until I used ESIX.  I hope it is not typical of 386 based UNIX.

BTW, I run AUX on an 020 macII and as MC Hammer says, "Cant touch this"

--
What do these names have in common?
Bob, Flo, Augie, Curtis, Gordon, Rick, Rhonda, Meep, Bismark, Skip, Larson Petty
	...did I miss any??			steveg at umd5.umd.edu