FLAME Concerning Apple's pricing of A/UX 2.0.

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Mon Jun 4 14:39:20 AEST 1990

>You didn't have to pick A/UX for a platform.  If a cheapo 386 UNIX port
>is what you want to pay for, that's what you should be using.  If you are
>adding capabilities and value to your product by putting in on A/UX, then
>what's the problem with paying more for it?

I don't quite understand just what "cheapo 386 UNIX port" is being
referred to.  To get what you get with A/UX 2.0, you'd end up paying at
least $1K-$1.5K street price for ISC's 386/ix or SCO's XENIX or UNIX.
Even ESIX, with the same services, is about $800, the same amount which
is being kvetched about.

The price for A/UX 2.0 seems pretty much in line with other products on
the market on platforms in the same ballpark.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer at arktouros.mit.edu, dyer at hstbme.mit.edu