FLAME Concerning Apple's pricing of A/UX 2.0.

tony cooper name at portiaStanford.EDU
Sat Jun 2 10:35:45 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun1.185845.24189 at ox.com>, time at ox.com (Tim Endres) writes:

> Apple, ...
>                     ... Their recent pricing of A/UX 2.0 is an
> obvious gouge, attempting to recoup development efforts.

Apple has made mistakes before, concerning overpricing. Slumps in sales have
been attributed to overpricing a few times in the past. And industry "experts"
have said that the lack of a low cost Mac has been costly for Apple.

Reducing the price of A/UX will increase sales of it. And probably sales of
peripherals, particulary hard drives and CDROMs will increase. There are
far more Macs out there than UNIX machines. So Apple has a chance of making
A/UX the most popular UNIX around. I think it is a fair price, perhaps, for
a UNIX person who wants a UNIX system. But why not sell it for far less to
entice MacOS users to have a look at it. I realize that Apple has to pay
royalties on it. But since they do not make a direct profit from selling
MacOS, why is there a need to make a direct profit from A/UX?

Eventually MacOS and A/UX will converge to a single system. Can't have two
different prices for the one system right?

Tony Cooper