getting started on aux (editor, gcc, gdb)

Mark Sherman mss+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Jun 2 00:59:42 AEST 1990

I recently got AUX 1.1.1 going on my IIci, but find my environment
lacking. For starters, does anyone have a suggestion for a multiwindow,
mousing, grepping text editor suitable for program development on a Mac
IIci running AU/X 1.1.1? I hate ed and vi, and consider emacs to have
minimal functionality (Is there an emacs available for AU/X? Or would I
have to port gun-emacs myself? I've seen the emacs distribution on
apple.com, but that requires completely building it -- see later about
gcc/pcc). Ez would be good, but I don't want to invest 100 megabytes
into X.11 and ATK just for a program editor (as well as the pain of
porting it). I was considering MPW (shell as editor), MEdit and Qued,
but MPW 3.0 doesn't seem to run on my IIci (it hangs the system) while
MEdit (and MS Word) cannot convert between the formats used for new
lines and  do not recognize non-Mac files (or rather, when I force them
to recognize non-Mac files, the resulting files becomes a Mac file which
I then cannot feed to ordinary Unix programs). While I have your
attention, anyone know of a port of gdb to AU/X 1.1.1
that will run on a Mac IIci? Or even gcc/pcc? The pcc is particularly
important since I am compiling programs with verylarge numbers of
"defines" in them which blows away the AUX (-B /usr/lib/big)
preprocessor. I tried using the pcc that is part of the emacs
distribution, but the resulting program (1) goes into a loop when I feed
it a file; (2) does not process include's correctly (claims it cannot
find files), (3) outputs garbage (well, it almost looks like pcc output,
but lots of things are wrong, like lack of new-lines, missing hash
marks, and so on). I do not know the story of the gcc on apple.com. I
assume that is only the actual compiler and not a combination of
preprocessor, compiler, optimizer and assembler.

Does anyone have a good suggestions?

		-Mark