getting started on aux (editor, gcc, gdb)

Richard Michael Todd rmtodd at uokmax.uucp
Sat Jun 2 04:55:09 AEST 1990

mss+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Sherman) writes:
>minimal functionality (Is there an emacs available for AU/X? Or would I
>have to port gun-emacs myself? I've seen the emacs distribution on
>apple.com, but that requires completely building it -- see later about
>gcc/pcc). Ez would be good, but I don't want to invest 100 megabytes
  Well, the GNU-Emacs distribution on apple.com is already ported, all
you need to do is compile it.  As I recall from an earlier version (the
GNU Emacs 18.44 port that shipped with A/UX 1.0) it compiled just fine
with the stock cc.  I think someone out there has already-built binaries
of GNU Emacs 18.55 for A/UX avail. for anon. ftp, if not I can probably
make my (somewhat out-of-date v18.44) copy available.

>but MPW 3.0 doesn't seem to run on my IIci (it hangs the system) while
Rumour has it that MPW will run (with a minor patch) on A/UX 2.0, but not
1.1.  Get yer upgrade orders in now...

>attention, anyone know of a port of gdb to AU/X 1.1.1
>that will run on a Mac IIci? Or even gcc/pcc? The pcc is particularly
  Somebody posted here some time back about having ported GDB to A/UX, but
I don't recall seeing any announcements of availability of the port (via
anon. ftp, etc.).  I'd *love* to get ahold of this one.
   For GCC v1.37, grab the distribution from apple.com.
>marks, and so on). I do not know the story of the gcc on apple.com. I
>assume that is only the actual compiler and not a combination of
>preprocessor, compiler, optimizer and assembler.
   You assume wrong.  The gcc distribution includes binaries for the C
preprocessor and the main compiler itself (includes all optimization), as
well as the "gcc" driver program which calls the various passes.  You use
the standard A/UX assembler.
Richard Todd   rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu