Help with A/UX 1.1 on 3rd Party drive

William Roberts liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 01:53:59 AEST 1990

In <167 at cis9.INGR.COM> lenoirjw at INGR.COM (Billy Lenoir) writes:

>I am having a little problem with my installation of A/UX.  I have it installed
>on a 3rd party hard drive with the X11R4 installed.  Anytime I run Xwindows
>my MacOS partition is wiped out.  I suspect that A/UX is using it for swap
>space!?!  The swap partition is set up as:

>DPM Index: 5
>Name: "Swap", Type: "Apple_UNIX_SVR2"
>Physical: 34068 @ 604941, Logical: 34068 @ 0
>       read    write
>Swap File System (3) (critical)
>Cluster:   0   Type: SFS       Inode: 1
>Made: [0] Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969
>Mount: [0] Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969
>Umount: [0] Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969
>No AltBlk map

>The only information that I can find on which partition is actually being
>used is from "swap -l":

>path            dev  swaplo blocks   free
>/dev/dsk/c4d0s128,1       0  28672  28672

>This doesn't appear to be the correct size for the Swap partition or the MacOS
>partition, and I don't know what the device name is for.  Is there anything
>that I'm missing?  I'm sure I don't need to tell you what a pain it is to
>lose the HD every time I run X11R4 (which is never, now)

The number 28672 is the size wired into the Kernel to tell it
how big the swap partition is - since 34068 > 28672 you aren't
running off the end (the SCSI driver prevents you from doing
that anyway, so swap isn't the reason why you are trashing your
Mac partition).

The size of swap is set using kconfig on /unix (and /newunix if
you want it to persist across autoconfiguration) - check the
manual page for details. This little irritation is fixed in
A/UX 2.0 where the kernel manages to read the partition map to
find out the size of swap...

It would be helpful to see the complete output of dp, and the
output of kconfig -va /unix; I'll read the entrails if you care
to mail them to me (summary of answers to the net of course).

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)