A/UX 2.0 press release

David Berry dwb at sticks.apple.com
Fri Mar 23 06:06:01 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar22.060011.5972 at noao.edu> tody at noao.edu (Doug Tody X217) writes:
>Can anyone shed some light on how the new shared library facility in A/UX
>2.0 is implemented?  Does this imply a general file mapping facility, with
>copy on modify and so on?  Are compilers that can generate position
>independent code needed to make use of the shared libraries?  Can the
>linker link a process with the base of the text segment located at an
>arbitrary user specified address?  If this is a general shared library
>facility that is quite a plus for A/UX, as some of the big workstation
>vendors do not even have this yet.

	I'm going to do my best to answer these questions, but I may
not get them all absolutely correct, I've had relatively little to do
with the actual implementation.

	The A/UX Shared Library facility allows you to create dynamically
loaded, but statically linked, shared libraries.  The libraries are bound
at a fixed address and a jump table is bound into the caller.  At load time
the appropriate libraries are matched up with the binary and loaded via the
normal demand page scheme.

	The normal compiler suite plus a new tool, included with the release,
are used to create shared libraries.  Any compiler should work, as all the
work is done by the linker.
	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb at apple.com