G++ (and gcc) tricks and traps

John Coolidge coolidge at cassius.cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 22 03:24:38 AEST 1990

A couple notes about running G++ that I've found useful. First, I made
symbolic links:
	<gnu libraries>/gcc-as -> /usr/lib/big/as
	<gnu libraries>/gcc-ld -> /usr/lib/big/ld

This causes gcc and g++ to always use the big versions of as and ld. Using
the small (default) version tends to break large programs (like gcc and
g++ :-) ), and is pretty low-cost for small programs.

The include files for G++ are not all that well tuned to A/UX. At a
minimum, you should always define 'USG' when compiling with the g++ header
files.  Probably someone should go through them and fix them up for A/UX.
Any volunteers, or do I get to do this one? :-)

--John