Does nobody read this group? Was Re: Serial ports and ...

Kent Sandvik ksand at appleoz.oz.au
Wed Mar 14 11:51:45 AEST 1990

      In article <9023 at shlump.nac.dec.com> jnelson at gauche.enet.dec.com

      I have been lurking here for a few days now, and I too would like
      to see more summaries and postings in general.  I am preparing to
      purchase a Mac IIci and A/UX.

      Maybe I can get the ball rolling in this newsgroup with a simple
      question.  Can anyone tell me how painful it is to use disk drives
      and QIC tape drives from other vendors under A/UX?

I have used Northern Telecom and Rodime disks (as well as Apple ones)
without big problems with A/UX. The thing to watch out for is tools for
partitioning A/UX partitions, especially such arcane partitions as the
swap partition. The HD Setup 2.0 creates these for Apple hard disks,
alas not for most TPV drives. You need to use dp from A/UX in order
to hack the partitions, or use a utility such as Silverlining in order
to produce these partitions.

      My local dealer is over-charging me for everything, and I'm not
      confident that he knows what he's doing when in comes to A/UX,
      therefore I'll be buying the IIci and A/UX on tape from him (the
      cheapest place around) and buy the RAM upgrade, 300MB disk, and
      150MB QIC tape drive through mail-order.

Concerning QIC 2000 tape drives, all I have is information about
a company that sells QIC 2000 drives/drivers for A/UX: Irwin systems
from Irwin Magnetics.

      I don't know if the A/UX SCSI driver will support any old big
      SCSI disk I plug in.  Does the format program know how to format
      a disk this large?  Does the SCSI tape driver know how to talk to
      anything besides the Apple 40MB tape drive?  Can I boot from this
      external 300MB drive?  Can I leave the Finder on my 40MB internal
      drive so I can use it sometimes?

There's a special MacOS partition for the bootstrapping of A/UX, and
with a utility such as HD Setup 2.0 you could define the size of this
one (default 2Mb).

/hope this helps
/ksand
--
Kent Sandvik, Network Ninja         --  Apple Australia Developer Tech Support
{uunet,mcvax,enea}!munnari!appleoz.oz!ksand, ksand at appleoz.oz.au (OR ksand at apple.com)