Help with A/UX's UUCP!

Mike Nowak mike at terminator.cc.umich.edu
Thu Mar 8 12:07:57 AEST 1990

I'm having a terrible time with A/UX's UUCP implementation.  I had it working mostly
but recently it just collapsed.  I realize it's hard to debug these problems remotely
but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Problems:

1.  I had really problems with uucico, uuxqt, and rnews.  uucico would transfer news
batches down with their associated X. files and then occasionally call uuxqt.  rnews
always failed when run by uuxqt this way.  Now, if I ran uuxqt myself, outside of
uucico, wverything would be fine.  So I made a fake uuxqt and I run uuxqt.orig from
cron.  But it doesn't seem right.

2.  Apparently, rmail doesn't strip off the header and make a replyable address for
incoming uucp mail.  Mail from outside the system always comes from uucp.

3.  Most recently, I'm completely unable to get news batches from my feed.  Mail files
come down okay and the first news batch comes down but when it comes to the point
where it sends the associated .X file, it fails with a BAD READ (expected ').  When
I run uucico with -x9 I see several "alerts" and then it fails.  According to my
books, a BAD READ means "uucico could not read/write to a device".  I don't know
which device this could be though.

4.  Does anyone have a working Usenet news "spacefor" for A/UX?  When I tell Configure
(from cnews) that I have a usg system, it make a spacefor but it always reports that
I don't have enough space, even if there are 5 or 10 megs free.

As I send, any help is appreciated, especially via mail to this address.

mike