A/UX Release 2.0

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Fri Mar 23 06:24:27 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <7294 at goofy.Apple.COM>,
  dwb at archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) writes:
< In article <1990Mar20.181959.16435 at smurf.sub.org> urlichs at smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
< >Does the A/UX kernel finally support the Berkeley FFS, and/or [#!/what/ever]
<
< 	Well, since A/UX 2.0 has now been annoucned (see elsewheres for
< 	complete announcements, it's been posted), yes the 2.0 kernel
< 	will support both FFS and the #!/usr/bin/whatever convention.

Great!

< >Is there a decent Mac-like text editor? Or the functional equivalent to the
< >MPW Shell? (Long list of superb MPW shell features, sadly missing from Unix,
< >omitted.)
< 	Well, MPW runs with a single patch, and there is a Mac-like text
< 	editor as well.
<
But unfortunately, it can't yet run A/UX binaries from/in its windows.
(Shouldn't be too difficult, really... Someone want to write a "unixrun" tool?)

And the MPW Shell patch should be posted.
(The description of how to figure it out yourself mentioned a debugger --
which one? MacsBug? The Unix kernel debugger? The latter would be bad since I
don't have a terminal here.)

< >NB: Sorry if this sounds like more or less unnecessary bickering about a good
< >product. It is (good, I mean), but it could be better. What couldn't?
< 	We're really trying to make it much better.  .[...]

Judging from the differences between 1.1 and 2.0, I'm inclined to believe
that. How long will it take to get System 7.0 up and running under A/UX? ;-)
<

Now my only problem is that under A/UX 1.1.1, I have a severe case of
"incoming serial characters get mysteriously lost at 9600 baud, uucico doesn't
get enough time, and I'm the only one in the world this has ever happened to"
problem (occurs both for built-in ports and the CommCard). This problem isn't
improved by the fact that both the II --> IIfx motherboard upgrade and A/UX
2.0 seem at least three months away, and living in Germany tends to make
matters worse ...
--
Matthias Urlichs