A/UX Release 2.0

David W. Berry dwb at archer.apple.com
Wed Mar 21 08:46:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar20.181959.16435 at smurf.sub.org> urlichs at smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>Does the A/UX kernel finally support the Berkeley FFS, and/or the
>#!/usr/bin/whatever convention? Or ar these still the "almost" in the above
>"almost anything"?
>The above are, to me at least, the two most annoying non-features A/UX has.
	Well, since A/UX 2.0 has now been annoucned (see elsewheres for
	complete announcements, it's been posted), yes the 2.0 kernel
	will support both FFS and the #!/usr/bin/whatever convention.

>Oh yes, I'd also like to have TIOCCONS instead of /dev/osm, please.
>(Ever had "tail -f /dev/osm" cause a kernel bus error?)
	Well, there is now a TIOCSETCONS, which probably does just
	about the same thing.

>Is there a decent Mac-like text editor? Or the functional equivalent to the
>MPW Shell? (Long list of superb MPW shell features, sadly missing from Unix,
>omitted.)
	Well, MPW runs with a single patch, and there is a Mac-like text
	editor as well.

>NB: Sorry if this sounds like more or less unnecessary bickering about a good
>product. It is (good, I mean), but it could be better. What couldn't?
	We're really trying to make it much better.  We think that A/UX
	2.0 shows Apple's intention to make the best A/UX we can.  Not
	that our ideas of "best" will always agree with yours, but we'll
	consider anything.