Ugly little areas when running toolbox application

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Sun Mar 11 23:07:59 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <3293 at trantor.harris-atd.com>,
  wdavis at x102c.ess.harris.com (davis william 26373) writes:
< When running an toolbox application that has been launched or running
< a toolbox application such as term which is merely run as a AUX process,
< 5 little windows will appear on the top of the screen partially overwriting
< the menu bar.  This occurs whenever a console message would appear.
< In our application, this is specifically happening when NFS has problems.
< We have also seen it when driver debug output has occurred with a
< toolbox program running.  We have also seen this under hfx as well.
< The menu bar can still be accessed even though hidden, and after the
< access, the menu hides behind the window again.
<
< Does anyone know how to fix this or prevent it?
<
Make a shell script "run":
: /bin/sh
cat /dev/osm >/tmp/console &
jobno=$!
launch "$*"
kill $jobno
cat /tmp/console # or use "more" (or "less" if you have it)

Beware: Some people have experienced very interesting kernel bus errors with
this method. Your mileage may vary.

--
Matthias Urlichs