panic: mget when running X11R4: what gives?

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Tue Mar 13 17:28:40 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <1990Mar11.170219.155 at smurf.sub.org>, I wrote:
< Having finally got X11R4 to run (gcc needs fixincludes applied correctly),
< my X11R4 server now runs an average of two minutes before causing an "mget"
< kernel panic.
<
This seems to be related to the "NMBUFS" kernel parameter.
I kconfig'ed it up from 500 to 750 and the problem went away.

The next problem is less funny: Both xload and xcalc behave in a very
interesting, but slightly less than useful, way.
xload looks like this:
+----------------------+
|                      |
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   |
+----------------------+ and stays that way, with the XX part being totally
black (and the cursor acts as if it were a scroll bar).
xcalc places all its buttons at semi-random locations.
gcc may have a problem here. :-(
<
< Any ideas?
Other than rebuilding all libraries with cc, which is not what I want to do
right now...
--
Matthias Urlichs