Non-Apple Ethernet cards (Re: Apple hardware)

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Fri Jun 14 15:21:33 AEST 1991

Thad Floryan writes about his Tri-Data card, which works perfectly under
A/UX 2.0.1 for him. (Or was it 2.0.0? It shouldn't matter, though.)

First of all, all that he says of the Tri-Data is true of the Asante boards
as well. I'm very happy with them. Recently, they cut their prices to under
$400 for their entire line of boards. Support has always been good.

A few questions about the Tri-Data (I've never seen them):
Does it have a 64KB buffer? As of A/UX 2.0.0, 16KB is "not supported" and
could conceivably cause crashes (I think William R. wrote about this).
What's the price?
Is it register-compatible with the Apple board? That's one reason I've
stuck with the Asante boards- they can run with Apple's drivers, so I don't
have to worry about the kind of thing that has happened to owners of the
older Kinetics/Excellan/Novell/Dayna EtherPort cards (i.e., no support =
no drivers = can't use it under A/UX 2.0)

If the Tri-Data board compares well with the Asante on these three points
then it's a good card. I won't swear to it but I think I found that FTP
between a Mac IIfx and a Sun IPC ran at about 110KB/sec with the Asante.
Assuming that the IPC is as fast as the Sun 3, the Tri-Data may have an
edge over the Asante. (Then again, that may be a very poor assumption.)

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Admin, Panix Public Access Unix
alexis at panix.com