Non-Apple Ethernet cards (Re: Apple hardware)

Thaddeus P. Floryan thad at public.BTR.COM
Fri Jun 14 06:48:21 AEST 1991

In article <K#A-JL at smurf.sub.org> urlichs at smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>[...]
>Speaking of which, is there any list out there which Ethernet cards are A/UX
>2.0 compatible?
>[...]

The Tri-Data cards work perfectly and are 100% compatible (per my own tests)
with A/UX 2.*

Additionally, the Tri-Data cards have BOTH the D-15 AUI connector and a
10BaseT connector.

A diagnostic LED (visible from the outside of the computer) indicates not
only a power-on state but also any problems (by a series of "blinks"); mine
are on steady!  :-)

Performance of the Tri-Data is *VERY* satisfactory: ftp's transfer stats in
verbose mode indicate (an average) of:

    120KBytes/S between the A/UX box and a Sun 3/60 with SunOS 4.1.1,
    40-45KBytes/S between the A/UX box and a *REAL* IBM-PC/AT (DOS 3.3)
         with a WD8003 and WIN/TCP, and
    50KBytes/S between the A/UX box and a 3B1 (AT&T 3.51m) and WIN/TCP.

If you're not using 10BaseT (twisted pair), you'll need a transceiver to
tap into the backbone (any of 10BASE2, 10BASE5, 10BaseT, fibre, etc.)

The Tri-Data card takes its power from the NuBus and I've had no problems
(with the Tri-Data card) since its installation in April.

Thad Floryan [ thad at btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]