Resizing AUX Mac OS partition? (novice question)

Kent Sandvik ksand at apple.com
Fri Jun 7 03:01:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun5.141103.23420 at helios.physics.utoronto.ca>, sysmark at aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) writes:

> Granted that *formatting* is (or, at least, can be) very drive-specific.  But
> I don't understand why partitioning can't be supported for all drives.  Isn't
> the partition layout squirreled away in some known place (e.g. block N of the
> first cylinder, or some such)?  Once the drive is formatted, HD SC Setup should
> be able to determine the drive characteristics (number of heads, sectors/track,
> and so forth) with standard SCSI commands, following which it could define the
> partitions, copy appropriate things to the Mac partition, and so on.
>
> It's my impression that HD SC Setup sniffs the drive, notices that it isn't an
> Apple drive, and refuses to deal with it in any way, even though it could, if
> it wanted to, do things like define the partitions.  If I'm wrong, then please
> correct me.  If not, then I'd tend to agree with Mr. Gunn, though perhaps I'd
> consider "sleazy" a bit strong; how about "shoddy"?

Well, here we go again. Let me give another example of how hard it is to support
third party vendor SCSI disks. The general assumption is that a hard disk should
start with asynchonous mode, and start a form of handshaking talking with the other
end if they want synchronous mode, and at what speeds.

Well, there are hard disks out there that maybe or possibly starts immediately in
synchronous mode, and wonders why the Mac does not talk with them. If we said that
HD Setup would work with *any* hard disk, and a customer gets into trouble to a similar
case, then we are liable. Anyway, things are happening, so let's see what next year
will bring.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik