Resizing AUX Mac OS partition? (novice question)

Tony Cooper tony at tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz
Thu Jun 6 11:39:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun5.141103.23420 at helios.physics.utoronto.ca>,
sysmark at aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) writes:

|> Granted that *formatting* is (or, at least, can be) very
drive-specific.  But
|> I don't understand why partitioning can't be supported for all
drives.  Isn't
|> the partition layout squirreled away in some known place (e.g. block
N of the
|> first cylinder, or some such)?  Once the drive is formatted, HD SC
Setup should

The dp utility in A/UX does generic drive partitioning. You can use it from
A/UX and MacOS. The interface is purely command line driven so it's nowhere
as easy to use as HD SC Setup. I think it would be a good idea to allow HD
SC Setup to partition generic drives.

Lots of space in this newgroup is filled with partitioning and mounting types
of questions and problems. That was my biggest problem when I first got A/UX
(Jasmine generously gave me a copy of their DriveWare even though I was not
one of their customers to help me out). This is a good area for Apple to
improve upon, especially since there is not a lot of A/UX expertise outside
of Apple. (And this is an A/UX thing, not a Unix thing).

I am working on my own A/UX mounting software that should shore up a few
gaps in Apple's software.

Tony Cooper
sramtrc at albert.dsir.govt.nz