Resizing AUX Mac OS partition? (novice question)

Tony Cooper tony at tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz
Wed Jun 5 22:36:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun4.112209.31247 at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>,
1k1mgm at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) writes:
|> external drive so that AUX can use it.*  My problem right now concerns
|> how to configure the Mac area on the AUX disk, in order to make the pure
|> Mac side of the OS (however pure it may be...) usable.**

It's pure System 6.0.x. Nothing special about it. Same as everybody else's.
It has some A/UX stuff that the hoi poloi do not have (A/UX startup and
a bin folder).

|>    16K    Mac Driver
|>    16K    <empty>
|> 54567K    AUX root slice 0
|> 18432K    AUX swap slice 1
|>  3072K    AUX auto-recovery
|> >2048K    Mac partition
|>     1K    Free AUX slice 3 (thanks a lot!)
|>     1K    <mandatory buffer>
|>
|> I need to grow the Mac partition by between 2 and 4Mb, in order to install
|> enough fonts, etc., to make the thing usable.

Forget about making it useable. There's nothing you can do with it anyway.
Even if you make it 6MB it's pretty frustrating using a Mac with just 6MB
of disk space. Basically the Mac partition contains enough stuff to boot
A/UX and that's all. Use your other hard drive(s) for decent sized partitions.

|> Question is, at this point, will AUX be able to wake up?  Since I can't
|> see the swap and recovery partitions from a Mac OS, I can't backup and
|> restore the contents.  (Actually, I can't figure out how to see them
|> from AUX, either, but presumably there's a way...)

You can see them from MacOS using SCSI utilities or from A/UX startup using
/dev/rdsk/c... special files.

|> Sorry for burdening the net with what's obviously a neophyte question;
|> all the FM's are presumably on the way, though, and I really don't

Man pages are built in on the disk you have now. You might find the following
helpful: gd(7), pname(1m), dp(1m), and maybe some others.

|> *  It strikes me as uniquely sleazy for Apple to have written software
|>    that won't work with 3rd-party drives.

What do you mean by "uniquely"? If Apple are sleazy then they are not the
only ones. And in this case Apple are not sleazy at all. The A/UX SCSI disk
driver is very generic indeed. It works with most 3rd party disk drives. Do
you mean HD SC Setup? Disk formatting software is drive-specific. You can't
expect Apple to support all 3rd pary drives out there. Impossible task. Apple
supports their own drives which is all they have to do. In fact, when it
comes to system software Apple is very generous. So is their support on
the net. I don't know anything sleazy about Apple at all. In fact, their
generosity is growing all the time - 1991 has been a great year for free
software.

|> Sorry for burdening the net with what's obviously a neophyte question;

It's not the questions, it's the insults that are the burden.

|> ** Along these lines, is there a good reason why the Mac OS on an AUX
|>    system can't see Mac hard drives?  (It can after all see Mac floppies.)

It can. It's just normal system software.

|>    One of the manuals says that AUX can 'mount AUX or Mac file systems.'
|>    Is it the case that a mountable 'Mac file system' must be embedded in
|>    an AUX-structured disk?

No. But if you want to mount a MacOS filesystem that is inside a partition
on a disk then A/UX must recognize the partitioning scheme. I presume that
this is what you mean. For the third party drive you must have a valid
A/UX partitioned drive to mount both types of partition. And so the disk
formatting software must create the right partitions. If it doesn't then
you might have to buy some other software to do the job. That's easy.

Cheers,
Tony Cooper