Resizing AUX Mac OS partition? (novice question)

Christopher Gunn 1k1mgm at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Wed Jun 5 02:22:09 AEST 1991

My AUX ci (8/80) showed up this week and is causing me a lot of problems,
mostly because of disk-space shortage.  I've been reading some of the tips
in this group and THINK I know how to format and re-build a 3rd-party
external drive so that AUX can use it.*  My problem right now concerns
how to configure the Mac area on the AUX disk, in order to make the pure
Mac side of the OS (however pure it may be...) usable.**

Advice to RTFM won't help me much, even if it includes pointers to the
right FM, because the FM's haven't shown up yet, except the rudimentary
ones in the 'Accessory Kit.'  (Complete set is on order.)

What I've got now:

Apple HD SC Setup shows the internal 80Mb drive partitioned as follows:

Size      What
----      ----

   16K    Mac Driver
   16K    <empty>
54567K    AUX root slice 0
18432K    AUX swap slice 1
 3072K    AUX auto-recovery
>2048K    Mac partition
    1K    Free AUX slice 3 (thanks a lot!)
    1K    <mandatory buffer>

I need to grow the Mac partition by between 2 and 4Mb, in order to install
enough fonts, etc., to make the thing usable.

Since the Mac partition is 'landlocked,' I'm obviously going to have to
find some space in the swap or recovery partitions.  I am assuming
(perhaps incorrectly) that I can copy the contents of the Mac partition
(using the HD SC Setup floppy) to another SCSI disk and restore them
later.  Then, presumably, I could remove the swap and recovery partitions
and subsequently restore all three affected partitions (swap, recovery,
Mac) in different (and more appropriate sizes).

Question is, at this point, will AUX be able to wake up?  Since I can't
see the swap and recovery partitions from a Mac OS, I can't backup and
restore the contents.  (Actually, I can't figure out how to see them
from AUX, either, but presumably there's a way...)

Sorry for burdening the net with what's obviously a neophyte question;
all the FM's are presumably on the way, though, and I really don't
intend to be a chronic nuisance.  Thanks for any advice folks can provide.

Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
913-864-4428 or -4495	University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

*  It strikes me as uniquely sleazy for Apple to have written software
   that won't work with 3rd-party drives.

** Along these lines, is there a good reason why the Mac OS on an AUX
   system can't see Mac hard drives?  (It can after all see Mac floppies.)
   One of the manuals says that AUX can 'mount AUX or Mac file systems.'
   Is it the case that a mountable 'Mac file system' must be embedded in
   an AUX-structured disk?