Resizing AUX Mac OS partition? (novice question)

Mark Bartelt sysmark at aurora.physics.utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 6 00:11:03 AEST 1991

[ Christopher Gunn ]

| *  It strikes me as uniquely sleazy for Apple to have written software
|    that won't work with 3rd-party drives.

[ Tony Cooper ]

| What do you mean by "uniquely"? If Apple are sleazy then they are not the
| only ones. And in this case Apple are not sleazy at all. The A/UX SCSI disk
| driver is very generic indeed. It works with most 3rd party disk drives. Do
| you mean HD SC Setup? Disk formatting software is drive-specific. You can't
| expect Apple to support all 3rd pary drives out there. Impossible task. Apple
| supports their own drives which is all they have to do.

Granted that *formatting* is (or, at least, can be) very drive-specific.  But
I don't understand why partitioning can't be supported for all drives.  Isn't
the partition layout squirreled away in some known place (e.g. block N of the
first cylinder, or some such)?  Once the drive is formatted, HD SC Setup should
be able to determine the drive characteristics (number of heads, sectors/track,
and so forth) with standard SCSI commands, following which it could define the
partitions, copy appropriate things to the Mac partition, and so on.

It's my impression that HD SC Setup sniffs the drive, notices that it isn't an
Apple drive, and refuses to deal with it in any way, even though it could, if
it wanted to, do things like define the partitions.  If I'm wrong, then please
correct me.  If not, then I'd tend to agree with Mr. Gunn, though perhaps I'd
consider "sleazy" a bit strong; how about "shoddy"?

Mark Bartelt                                                      416/978-5619
Canadian Institute for                                   mark at cita.toronto.edu
Theoretical Astrophysics                                 mark at cita.utoronto.ca