Resizing AUX Mac OS partition? (novice question)

William Roberts; liam at dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Thu Jun 6 20:09:53 AEST 1991

In <1991Jun6.013941.4670 at am.dsir.govt.nz> tony at tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony
Cooper) writes:

>Lots of space in this newgroup is filled with partitioning and mounting types
>of questions and problems. That was my biggest problem when I first got A/UX
>(Jasmine generously gave me a copy of their DriveWare even though I was not
>one of their customers to help me out). This is a good area for Apple to
>improve upon, especially since there is not a lot of A/UX expertise outside
>of Apple. (And this is an A/UX thing, not a Unix thing).

>I am working on my own A/UX mounting software that should shore up a few
>gaps in Apple's software.

One of the main difficulties is that A/UX and MacOS have different views about
which fields in an official partition map entry are actually significant. Back
during the A/UX 2.0 beta period, I formatted & partitioned a drive using the
supplied non-Apple software, and it worked fine under MacOS. Looked at from
A/UX, the partition map entry magic numbers were all zero (not the correct
value!).

I asked Apple DTS to issue a technote on this area, and was told "this isn't
an appropriate subject for a technote - people developing partitioning
software who claim to support A/UX should read the A/UX documentation".

I hope attitudes to A/UX have changed since, but the problem that all these
people keep bumping into is that software with no claims to support A/UX won't
even work as "standard MacOS" when vuewed from A/UX.

Perhaps Kent or someone with A/UX responsibilities in DTS would care to
reconsider producing a technote in this area?

% William Roberts                 Internet:  liam at dcs.qmw.ac.uk
% Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam at qmw-dcs.UUCP
% Mile End Road                   Telephone: +44 71 975 5234
% LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Fax:       +44 81-980 6533