Problems in setting up new accounts; garbage on screen at login

Craig Ruff cruff at ncar.ucar.edu
Sat Jun 22 08:52:49 AEST 1991

In article <100 at frio.cs.utexas.edu> jonabbey at cs.utexas.edu (Jonathan David Abbey) writes:
>without any problems, but when I try to log in to a new account, the top
>of the screen becomes partially overwritten by approximately 6 columns of
>bit-garbage, covering an area from the top of the screen to approximately twice
>the height of the menu bar from the top.

I see this too, but my logons work.  I suspect this happens when switching
the screen depth, and the software doesn't notice until a little later.

>I would like to express my unhappiness as well that the sys-admin manuals are
>an optional extra, particularly when first evaluating the machine.  _Very_
>frustrating.

I don't think the manuals are worth the high price you have to pay.
While they are more informative than no manuals, they aren't great either.
Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff at ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000
			Boulder, CO  80307