Problems in setting up new accounts; garbage on screen at login

Jonathan David Abbey jonabbey at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Jun 22 08:20:23 AEST 1991

Hello net.  I am having difficulty with a Macintosh IIci that we received
with A/UX 2.0 pre-installed on the hard drive, back in April.  We are only
now really getting serious about evaluating the machine, and I'm having some
problems with setting up a new account.  Actually, I can set up the account
without any problems, but when I try to log in to a new account, the top
of the screen becomes partially overwritten by approximately 6 columns of
bit-garbage, covering an area from the top of the screen to approximately twice
the height of the menu bar from the top.  The system will then hang, and when
I press the right programmer's switch (now, _that's_ a lovely name for it. 8),
the columns of bit-garbage start exhibiting what looks to be scrolling
behavior.

I would like to express my unhappiness as well that the sys-admin manuals are
an optional extra, particularly when first evaluating the machine.  _Very_
frustrating.

Ah, but enough of that.  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has seen
or knows the reason behind such behavior.

Thanks.

Jonathan David Abbey              \ "Dudez! Gimme a quarter!" - Aldo Cella
the university of texas at austin  \  - Dedicated to the Cygnian in all of us.
computer science/math?/psychology?  \ jonabbey at cs.utexas.edu